Freeplane is a mind mapping software application that supports thinking, sharing information and getting things done at work, in school and at home. The software can be used for mind mapping and analyzing the information contained in mind maps.
Program aims for maximum ease and speed of use. Occupying the middle ground between an editor and a diagramming tool, Freeplane allows the user to add content as quickly and naturally as they would in a text editor, yet producing structured content that can be manipulated as easily as a diagram.
- Note taking with freely positionable, unconnected nodes (like post-it’s)
- Ordering ideas (nodes) into a hierarchy connected by lines (edges)
- Classifying nodes with metadata (attributes) and style types (system styles, user defined styles, level styles)
- Grouping nodes with visual containers (clouds) and accolade (summary node)
- Connecting nodes with dynamic links, free lines (connectors) and labels
- Automatically styling nodes (with a bubble, color, edge type, etc.) according to hierarchical level and content (conditional styles, automatic edge color, level styles)
- Structuring nodes in terms of content (text, scientific formula, calculation, icon, image and hyperlink) and presentation area (core, details, notes, attributes, images and tooltip)
- Changing views by hiding content (folding branches, filtering, roll-up of details and hiding extensions in tooltip), finding, scrolling and navigating
- Tasking with calendar and reminders
- Password protecting of whole map and of individual nodes with DES encryption
- Ease of use with inline- and dialog editors, object oriented main menu, context menu’s, multi-language support, spell checker, properties panel, drag& drop functionality, hot keys, options for batch execution, publishing, sharing and selectable preferences
Screenshots are not available
– Show exception traces in formula editor
– Bug fixes