Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for PCs that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
Simple, intuitive, and innovative user interface
Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance. In order to handle multiple images easily, Paint.NET uses a tabbed document interface. The tabs display a live thumbnail of the image instead of a text description. This makes navigation very simple and fast. The interface is also enhanced for Aero Glass if you are using Windows 7 or Vista.
Usually only found on expensive or complicated professional software, layers form the basis for a rich image composition experience. You may think of them as a stack of transparency slides that, when viewed together at the same time, form one image.
Many special effects are included for enhancing and perfecting your images. Everything from blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing are included. Also included is our unique 3D Rotate/Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting.
includes simple tools for drawing shapes, including an easy-to-use curve tool for drawing splines or Bezier curves. The Gradient tool, new for 3.0, has been cited as an innovative improvement over similar tools provided by other software. The facilities for creating and working with selections is powerful, yet still simple enough to be picked up quickly. Other powerful tools include the Magic Wand for selecting regions of similar color, and the Clone Stamp for copying or erasing portions of an image. There is also a simple text editor, a tool for zooming, and a Recolor tool.
Screenshots are not available
– Improved: Image -> Rotate should now complete almost instantly
– Improved: Optimized a portion of the rendering engine for newer CPU instruction sets (SSE2, SSSE3, AVX2). Depending on zoom level, CPU type, and other factors, rendering throughput has been improved by 10-50%.
– Improved: Some performance optimizations for code that uses the indexers on the Surface class, which should improve effect plugin performance
– Fixed: Shortcut keys for the Adjustments menu weren’t working until after you opened the menu for the first time
– Fixed: Canvas checkerboard, used to indicate transparent regions of the image, now scales with DPI
– Fixed some of the more rare cases of the SEHException/AccessViolationException crash caused by Direct2D
– Fixed: A bug in IndirectUI was resulting in a crash when using @BoltBait’s Level Horizon plugin
– Fixed: Per-user fonts no longer cause a crash for the Store version
– New: The paintdotnet: protocol now works for the Classic version
– Fixed: The paintdotnet: protocol should now work properly with paths that have spaces in them
– Fixed: Hardened security for loading Custom Shape plugins via XAML